Tuesday, May 29, 2007

How sweet is it?

I love Sweet Tea. We used to see it a lot when we lived in Missouri - Catfish Annie's in Lee's Summit, for example - but haven't seen much of it it Utah.

Then we got a Chick-fil-A nearby and discovered they have Sweet Tea on the menu. They serve it like iced tea should - not pre-chilled, but poured into a cup full of ice. Now, Arizona Ice Tea has their own sweet tea - the 23.5 oz cans are 99 cents at the nearby Harmon's.

I was curious about how much sugar this stuff has, and was sort of amazed to find out it has about 25% less sugar then Mountain Dew. The Arizona Sweet Tea has 23g of sugar and 80 calories per 8 oz. A Dew has 31 g of sugar and 113 calories.

I've tried to make it on my own using my Mr. Coffee ice tea brewer with mixed results. The brewer works like a drip coffee machine, with tea bags used in the filter instead of coffee, and it drips into a pitcher full of ice.

I should be able to figure out how much sugar to add to the filter with the tea bags. Referring to the Arizona label, there's 23 grams of sugar per 8 oz of tea. If my pitcher holds 1.5 quarts, I should use about 5 ounces of sugar - about 13.5 tablespoons, or just over 3/4 cup. That seems like a lot, but I'll give it a try.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 1:03 PM , Blogger Harvey said...

Well, Kool-Aid takes 1 cup per 2 quarts, so that sounds just about right.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home